Jackfruit is the name of the fruit of ‘jackfruit’ tree, which belong to the mulberry family. Jackfruit tree is native to Southeast Asian Countries, however has create its way to other countries like Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and others.
Enormous and prickly on the outer surface, jackfruit looks somewhat like durian once a jackfruit is cracked open, what you will find within are pods or “bulbs”. Often referred to as the seeds, these bulbs are actually kinds of fleshy covering for the true seeds or pits, which are round and dark like chestnuts. When young its flesh is green, and it can be made keen on a tasty vegetable dish. Inside the fleshy piece are the seeds (nut) which is similar to chestnuts. Jackfruit seeds can be roasted or boiled.
It contain vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Potassium, Fat, Carbohydrates, flavones, antioxidants, Protein, Calories, Riboflavin, Niacin.
Jackfruit health benefits:
- Jackfruit is an admirable source of vitamin C, a powerful nutrient which helps protect against viral and bacterial infections. Vitamin C helps to make stronger the immune system function by supporting the white blood cells function.
- Jackfruit serves as a good provider of proteins, carbohydrates and vitamins, for the human body. It is supposed that the fruit can help avoid and treat stress and nervousness.
- Helps to lower blood pressure because of its high potassium content.
- It contains phytonutrients may help eliminate cancer-causing free radical from the body and slow the relapse of cells that can lead to degenerative diseases. Jackfruit is also known to contain anti-ulcer properties which help cure ulcers and digestive disorders.
- Jackfruit contains vitamin A, a powerful nutrient which known to keep a healthy eye and skin. It also helps avoid vision-related problems.
- Jackfruit is measured as an energy generating fruit due to the presence of simple sugars like fructose and sucrose which give you an almost immediate energy boost.
- The root of this fruit has been found to be positive for those suffering from asthma and also good for the treatment of information of skin problems
- Since it contains few calories and a very small quantity of fat, jackfruit is good for those trying to lose weight.